Eliminating the crust and switching out cheeses reduce a significant amount of fat and calories compared to a typical quiche, and I promise you won’t miss the crust (or the calories)!
Next to pizza, quiche is probably the perfect food.
It has protein, veggies, dairy and it’s completely versatile. Typical quiche also has carbs in the form of a flour crust. This crustless and healthy quiche takes a step into modern-day eating by eliminating the carbs for those that are trying to find ways to shed calories, minimize their carb intake, or need to eliminate gluten for health reasons.
A word about cheese. All quiches contain cheese. This recipe uses more cheese than most quiches because the additional cheese in this recipe is critical for keeping everything in the quiche together, much like a crust would. Cheese, however, does add calories, which is why I suggest sharp cheddar. Even though the calories in sharp cheddar are high, the sharpness gives you more flavor, so you get a tastier bang for your caloric buck.
The Rockstar Cheese
Did you know that there’s a rockstar among cheeses that is lower in fat and calories with a healthy amount of protein? If you guessed cottage cheese, you’re correct. That lunch side item you were served as a kid along with sliced peaches was actually good for you. See, mom knows best. You can see below how cottage cheese stacks up among three common cheeses.
Comparison of Cheeses
|Cottage Cheese (1% milkfat)||163||2.3g||28g|
As you can see, cottage cheese is the clear winner, and when it’s baked into recipes it does what a cheese needs to do without all the bad stuff. Of course, you can always adjust the cheeses in this recipe to your preferences, depending on your needs.
This recipe is super easy, but don’t be afraid to quiche it up by adding your favorite ingredients. See my notes below for additional tips!
- large mixing bowl
- wire whisk
- Cutting board with knife
- measuring cups and spoons
- oven-safe pie dish
- 6 eggs
- 1 cup cottage cheese , 2 % milkfat
- ¾ cup sharp cheddar cheese , shredded
- ⅔ cup parmesan cheese , grated
- 2 Tablespoons jalapeños (jarred or fresh with seeds removed) , chopped
- 1½ tsp Penzeys Justice spice blend*
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 1½ cups cooked ham , diced
- Cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Spray the inside of a pie dish with cooking spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk the eggs.
- Add the next 6 ingredients and whisk together.
- Stir in the ham using a rubber spatula or wooden spoon.
- Pour into the prepared pie dish and bake for 35 minutes.
- Let stand for 5 minutes after removing from oven. Enjoy warm, cold, or room temp!
- You can use additional veggies as well, such as mushrooms, onions, bell peppers, and spinach. Just keep in mind that these ingredients contain additional water and need to be sautéed prior to adding to the rest of the ingredients and baking.
- Penzeys is a spice company, and Penzeys Justice is a tasty blend of shallots, garlic, onion, green peppercorns, chives, and green onion. If you don’t have it, you can use this substitution: 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder, 1/2 teaspoon onion powder, and an additional 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
Penzeys Justice Seasoning
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. This means that if you choose to purchase this item using my link I may receive some compensation. Please note, I only link to items that I personally use!
Did you try my Healthy Crustless Quiche? Let me know! Want more savory egg recipes? (Hey, I live on a farm and have chickens, so I’ve got plenty of egg recipes!) You might also enjoy my Sausage and Egg Casserole, made with eggs and turkey sausage!
Leave a Reply