Traditional Beef Stew cooked untraditionally (and quickly) in the Instant Pot. Tender stew beef combined with the convenience of the Instant Pot brings this delicious meal together on a cold day quickly.
*This recipe is nut and peanut-free.”
- 1 1/2 lbs stew meat
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 5 medium carrots, cut into discs (choose carrots that are smaller in diameter)
- 2 lbs of Yukon Gold potatoes, cut into bite-sized pieces (you can leave the skin on!)
- 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 Tablespoon Herb de’ Provence
- 2 Tablespoons tomato paste
- 4 cups low-sodium beef broth (1 box)
- 1.5 cups red wine
- 2 Tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
What you need:
- Instant Pot or similar electric pressure cooker (I use a Power Quick Pot, but it’s the same concept.)
- measuring cups and spoons
- knife and cutting board
- small bowl
Brown/sear the stew beef in the butter using the SAUTE feature of your Instant Pot. I do this for the entire 20-minute saute setting in my Quick Pot, but you’ll start to know when yours is done searing because the meat will absorb the butter and start to sizzle, leaving brown bits on the bottom of your pot. After the meat is seared, cancel the SAUTE function, and scrape the brown bits off the bottom. The brown bits will add nicely to the color and flavor of your stew.
Add the rest of the ingredients except the flour. Seal your Instant Pot and select PRESSURE COOK on HIGH for 35 minutes. When it’s finished, press CANCEL, and quick-release your pot and wait for the steam to finish releasing from the top.
In a small bowl, pour about 1/4 cup of the stew liquid followed by 2 tablespoons of flour. Stir to combine and then add it back to the stew pot. Select the SAUTE function again and bring the stew to a boil to cook the flour mixture and to thicken, appx. 5 minutes.
Serve with Mama’s Moist Cornbread or grilled cheese sandwiches and a salad. Enjoy!